Our History

The Hampton Curling club was established in 1890. The group that founded the club consisted of: D.J.Bruce, Ernest Fowler, Frank Hall, Frank Humphrey, J.M.Humphrey, Percy Humphrey, Cecil March, Leonard Peters, William Stewart, Ernest L. Whittaker, J.E.Whittaker, George M. Wilson.

For the first two years (1890 and 1891) the club they used the ice on the creek at the station and the curling stones were kept in a piano box. Spring freshets caused problems and the men had to wade out to rescue the sinking stones. The first year’s dues was $2.00.

In 1892 land was purchased from Matthew Yeomans on Cemetery Road where the present day club is located.

That same year,the building committee consisted of George Wilson, Frank Humphrey and J.E.Whittaker, instructed William Langstroth  to buy posts, plated and rafters for a new building. At first the water for the ice was hauled from the CNR tower at Hampton Station but later a nearby spring behind the club became the source of water and was piped into the rink.

In 1895 E.G. Evans presented two Evans Point medals to the club.

In August 1896 Thomas Peters reported that the letters patent to incorporate the Hampton Curling Club had been received.

In 1896 acetylene gas lights were installed.

On November 15,1905 the minutes of the club report that E.G. Evans tore up the mortgage he held on the club and a vote of thanks was tendered to him. He and his sons Harry and Ronald Evans were made honorary life members of the club.

 The first Maritime bonspiel was held in Amherst in 1907 and the Hampton Curling Club team of Wilbur Giggey, James Sproul, Hudson Appleby and Fenwick Giggey won the Governor General’ s Trophy. The Amherst Daily News described them as “a team of young men from Hampton, known as the four indians, whose war whoops and loud yells  provided the life of the play”.

T.A.Peters was presented a special award and thanks in 1921 for his efforts to bring in guaranteed subscribers when the club was threatened due to lack of funds.

In the late 1920’s and early 1930’s R.V.Arnold and Burton Delong were instrumental in reviving the life of the club.

In 1937 two rinks from the Hampton Curling Club won the Blair Trophy in double rink competition. Team 1 - REV. Joseph Griffeths, Otto McKenize, Warren Titus and Team 2 - Blair Brown, Alan MacGowan, Dr. Snow and Archie Kay.

In 1952 a ladies curling association was organized and the members did a lot to help with the expansion of the club.

The official opening of the first artificial ice rink was on January 17,1959 with an invitational bonspiel. Rinks attending were from  Saint john, Sussex, Moncton, Sackville, St.George, Fredericton, St.Andrews and Fredericton Junction. E.S.Bissett president of the New Brunswick branch of the RCCC threw the first stone.

Alan MacGowan represented New Brunswick on the Canadian Teams that went to Scotland in 1960.

In 1966 the two sheet ice shed was replaced with a new three sheet building featuring Gothic arches and a concrete floor with a new ice machine and dehumidifier. Cost of the new rink was $ 55,000.